For this Assignment, you will design an age appropriate art center by completing the Unit 4 Template.docx located in Doc Sharing. Include at least 2 to 3 sentences addressing each topic.
You have read about and discussed the basic goals, setup, materials, and strategies, including specific two-dimensional and three-dimensional activities, for an early childhood art program. Now you can apply this knowledge to this Assignment.
Your art center will be for one of the following specific age groups of children:
- older toddlers, 2 to 3 years
- preschoolers, 3 to 5 years
- young school age children, 5 to 8 years
In addition, you will be asked to describe the four topics from the template and discuss in more detail how they can best help you address in more detail the cultural backgrounds and diverse needs of children. Why did you choose them? Make sure these address the core of DAP. You are encouraged to integrate additional material from the course resources and document the sources for your content.
NAEYC. (2009) Developmentally Appropriate Practice. Retrieved from http://www.naeyc.org/DAP
Important: This Assignment is designed to measure the following Course Outcome:
CE410-3: Use knowledge of the cultural background and diverse needs of children in planning and implementing activities and experiences.
That is interpreted in this Assignment as being able to demonstrate superior ability to use knowledge of the cultural background and diverse needs of children in planning and implementing activities and experiences. You are not planning activities, but you are planning an art center where great activities can happen!
In designing your art center, the emphasis should be on two things.
- First, you need to share specific information about how you will address the diversity in the center. Diversity involves all the differences in our children including, but not limited to, learning styles, abilities, disabilities, cultural, and family backgrounds.
- The second emphasis is closely related and deals with diversity as it applies to providing developmentally appropriate practices (DAP). This is evidenced by accommodations and modifications necessary to meet the needs of all children by providing developmentally appropriate practices that will make your art center successful for the age group youâ€™ve chosen for this Assignment.
Enjoy this Assignment! You get to imagine the best possible climate in which to teach art!
Writing Requirements and Guidelines
Your Assignment should include:
- Cover page
- Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Complete the Unit 4 Template, including at least 2â€“3 sentences addressing each topic
- Describe 4 topics that can best help address diversity in an art center
- Reference list
- Sources in APA format
- You must use your text and 2 additional sources
- Complete Unit 4 Template
- Times New Roman 12 point font, Double-spaced
- Written adhering to the guidelines of Standard American English. This means that your thoughts should be well-organized, logical, and unified as well as original with the viewpoint and purpose clearly established and sustained. Standard American English guidelines also include the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Written in APA Formatting and Citation style
If you need assistance with APA style, visit the Kaplan University Writing Center athttps://kucampus.kaplan.edu/MyStudies/AcademicSupportCenter/WritingCenter/Index.aspx
Submitting your Assignment
Put your Assignment in a Word document. Save it in a location and with a name that you will remember. When you are ready to submit it, go to the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says â€œSubmit an Assignmentâ€.
- In the â€œSubmit to Basketâ€ menu, select Unit 4: Assignment
- In the â€œCommentsâ€ field, make sure to add at least the title of your paper.
- Click the â€œAdd Attachmentsâ€ button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your Word document.
- To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it.